Safe Environment Policy
While Saint Kilian Parish welcomes the participation of all, we also take very seriously the Diocesan Safe Environment Policy. This policy was created to take every possible measure to assure that Church personnel and all those who have regular contact with minors are committed to providing a safe environment for children and youth. We must ensure that all those regularly involved with parish-sponsored activities are capable of identifying and preventing the abuse of children and youth, and have no personal history of behavior that would be a threat to children.
The Safe Environment Policy applies to all those 18 years of age and older, whether clergy, members of consecrated life, or laity, who, as employees or volunteers, act in the name of the Church under the auspices of the Diocese of Pittsburgh or one of its parishes.
To begin the process of obtaining your clearances, please select one of the links below:
- New Volunteers—if you have never volunteered through Saint Kilian parish, click here.
- Current Volunteers—to update outdated clearances, or confirm your clearance status, click here.
For questions or help with the process of obtaining your clearances, please contact our Safe Environment Coordinator, Jo Scheller
THANK YOU for taking the time to help us protect the children and youth of our parish.
Obtaining Your Clearances
Saint Kilian Parish and School is committed to the safety of all children and to meeting the Safe Environment requirements set out by both the Diocese and the State of Pittsburgh. To comply with the mandates of the Church, all parents and adults wanting to participate in any school activities (field trips, classroom visits, cafeteria shifts, etc.) or any parish ministries (Faith Formation, Youth Ministry, Social Ministries, etc.) will be required to complete and submit the following items.
Because these take some time, parents and adults are highly encouraged to start this process early so that clearances will be in place when activities arise.
- Photocopies of clearances obtained through work or other volunteer positions are able to be used to fulfill these requirements. Please bring a copy of your certificate of completion or your clearance results to the parish front desk, ATTN: Jo Scheller.
- Most clearance websites are not formatted to work correctly on cell phones or IPads. Please use a regular laptop or desktop PC to complete your clearance applications.
- Please allow one week for your clearances to be received and entered into your files by our staff. We are blessed to have a large parish with many needs.
- Once all your clearances have been received, you will be sent a CONFIRMATION EMAIL. If you have not yet received this email, you have not been cleared for volunteering at this time.
- If you are unsure of your clearance status, please complete our online Clearance Review.
- Click here for an electronic copy of this information.
Items Required to be Completed
#1 - DIOCESAN DATABASE - please complete first
- Register on the Diocesan Database at www.diopitt.org.
- Click on the link for Safe Environment Database (left side of the home page, in green). The access code is “Protect”
- Each page must be “SAVED” in order for your information to be included in the Diocesan Database.
- When you complete the Diocesan Database, a PA State Criminal History clearance will be processed automatically on your behalf.
#2 - CHILD ABUSE REPORT
*Before beginning this application, email Jo Schellerto request your personal authorization code.
- Register at the following website www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis.
- Click on “Create Individual Account.” Create your own “Keystone ID” – use this ID to fill out the actual child abuse application.
- The last step (“Application Payment”) will ask if you have been provided with an authorization code. Select yes. Use the code that was provided to you in step 1.
- Make a copy of the application details for your records – this will need renewed in 5 years (*Note: only the Child Abuse and the Fingerprinting clearances expire – all others are a one-time requirement).
#3 - FBI WAIVER OR FBI FINGERPRINTING
- Read and sign the FBI Waiver Form. This is only available IF YOU (1) have been a PA resident for the past ten (10) years; and (2) swear or affirm in writing that you have not been convicted of the crimes or equivalent crimes in any other jurisdiction listed under the Child Protective Services Law that would disqualify an individual from employment involving children. Return the signed document to the parish, ATTN: Jo Scheller
- If you have lived in PA for less than 10 years, you must complete the Online Fingerprint Information Form. You will be given a registration form to take to a UPS store and be fingerprinted. The fee for fingerprinting is paid for with this form. Return the results page to the parish, ATTN: Jo Scheller.
#4 - READ AND SIGN THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS
Read and electronically sign the two online diocesan documents (found online by clicking here). You will need to read and electronically sign the two booklets titled: 1) Code of Pastoral Conduct and 2) Reporting of Child Abuse and The Child Protective Services Law of Pennsylvania. You may also complete these documents as part of your Diocesan Database.
#5 - COMPLETE THE VIRTUS “PROTECTING GOD’S CHILDREN” Training
You may complete this requirement through attending a live class OR on your own through an online version. Click here for instructions for registering for both live and online classes.
#6 - COMPLETE THE “MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING” - NEW!
This recently became mandatory for all school volunteers (including cafeteria helpers, classroom visitors and field trip chaperones) as well as anyone else working or volunteering directly with children. NOT ALL MINISTRIES REQUIRE THIS TRAINING. Please contact Jo Scheller if you are unsure if this requirement applies to you (again, if you are volunteering at school in any capacity you DO need this clearance).
- Register online for this training class.
- This course is timed, and takes 3 hours to complete. You may save your work and return to it later.
- Other versions of this course obtained for work (ex: ACT 126 for teachers) may count towards this requirement IF they are a 3 credit course (no 2 credit courses are accepted).
#7 - WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THE SIX STEPS ABOVE
Complete the above clearances and submit copies to Jo Scheller, Safe Environment Coordinator, so that they can be included in your file. When the above requirements are 100% complete, you will be eligible to volunteer at our parish and/or school..
For a more detailed set of instructions or if you have any questions, please contact Jo Scheller, Safe Environment Coordinator, at 724-625-1665, ext. 2104 or by email at email@example.com. We are so grateful to the many adults who complete clearances each year, thank you!