Safe Environment Policy
While Saint Kilian Parish welcomes the participation of all, we also take very seriously the Diocesan Safe Environment Policy. This policy was created to take every possible measure to assure that Church personnel and all those who have regular contact with minors are committed to providing a safe environment for children and youth. We must ensure that all those regularly involved with parish-sponsored activities are capable of identifying and preventing the abuse of children and youth, and have no personal history of behavior that would be a threat to children.
The Safe Environment Policy applies to all those 18 years of age and older, whether clergy, members of consecrated life, or laity, who, as employees or volunteers, act in the name of the Church under the auspices of the Diocese of Pittsburgh or one of its parishes.
To begin the process of obtaining your clearances, please select one of the links below:
- New Volunteers—if you have never volunteered through Saint Kilian parish, click here.
- Current Volunteers—to update outdated clearances, or confirm your clearance status, click here.
To view our protocol for reporting suspected child abuse, please choose from the following:
- Parish Protocol for Reporting Suspected Child Abuse
- School Protocol for Reporting Suspected Child Abuse
For questions regarding these policies or help with the process of obtaining your clearances, please contact our Safe Environment Coordinator, Jo Scheller
THANK YOU for taking the time to help us protect the children and youth of our parish.
Obtaining Your Clearances
Saint Kilian Parish and School is committed to the safety of all children and to meeting the Safe Environment requirements set out by both the Diocese and the State of Pittsburgh. To comply with the mandates of the Church, all parents and adults wanting to participate in any school activities (field trips, classroom visits, cafeteria shifts, etc.) or any parish ministries (Faith Formation, Youth Ministry, Social Ministries, etc.) will be required to complete and submit the following items.
Because these take some time, parents and adults are highly encouraged to start this process early so that clearances will be in place when activities arise.
- Photocopies of clearances obtained through work or other volunteer positions are able to be used to fulfill these requirements. Please bring a copy of your certificate of completion or your clearance results to the parish front desk, ATTN: Jo Scheller.
- Most clearance websites are not formatted to work correctly on cell phones or IPads. Please use a regular laptop or desktop PC to complete your clearance applications.
- Please allow one week for your clearances to be received and entered into your files by our staff. We are blessed to have a large parish with many needs.
- Once all your clearances have been received, you will be sent a CONFIRMATION EMAIL. If you have not yet received this email, you have not been cleared for volunteering at this time.
- If you are unsure of your clearance status, please complete our online Clearance Review.
- Click here for an electronic copy of this information.
Items Required to be Completed
#1 - DIOCESAN DATABASE - please complete first
- Register on the Diocesan Database (www.eappsdb.com) - select “Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh.”
- The access code is: PROTECT
- The first page with your basic contact information is only the first step for this database. Please log in with your new username and password to fill out all the sections—there are 11 small sections total to complete.
- Each page must be “SAVED” in order for your information to be included in the Diocesan Database.
- By completing the Diocesan Database, a PA State Criminal History clearance will be processed automatically on your behalf.
#2 - CHILD ABUSE REPORT
*Before beginning this application, email Jo Scheller to request your personal authorization code.
- Register at the following website www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis.
- Click on “Create Individual Account.” Create your own “Keystone ID” – a temporary password will be emailed to you. Log back in at the address above. Click on “Access Your Clearances” to continue.
- The last step (“Application Payment”) will ask if you have been provided with an authorization code. Select yes. Use the code that was provided to you in step 1.
- Make a copy of the application details for your records – this will need renewed in 5 years.
- Results are mailed to your home. Please bring a copy, ATTN: Jo Scheller, for your file.
#3 - COMPLETE THE VIRTUS “PROTECTING GOD’S CHILDREN” (Online Class)
- You may complete this requirement by attending a live class OR on your own through an online version.
- Go to www.virtus.org. Click on “First Time Registrant.” For the Archdiocese/diocese please select PITTSBURGH, PA
- Choose your session. The online session option is towards the end of the list.
- You will need audio for this course. Total time of completion is 60-75 minutes.
- At the completion of the course, please PRINT the certificate of completion and bring a copy of your certificate ATTN: Jo Scheller, for your file.
#4 - FBI CLEARANCE (FINGERPRINTS TAKEN) or WAIVER (SIGN A WAIVER INSTEAD OF GETTING FINGERPRINTS)
The FBI requirement is for either fingerprints or a fingerprint waiver (sign a waiver instead of getting fingerprints). Volunteers may be excused from the FBI Criminal History Report requirement (getting fingerprints taken) if they have been a Pennsylvania resident continuously for the previous 10 years and have none of the felonies listed on the waiver. See the conditions below and choose one of the following:
Option 1: For those who have lived in PA for 10+ years with none of the felonies listed on the FBI Fingerprints Waiver
- Click here FBI Fingerprints WAIVER – Please print this form and sign it, verified by a witness (any adult 18+ can be your witness).
- Please email, mail or bring a copy for your files, ATTN: Jo Scheller.
- For those without internet access, paper copies are available in the office.
If you do not qualify for a waiver, please complete the instructions for Option 2 below:
Option 2: For those who have lived in PA for less than 10 years OR have at least one of the felonies listed on the FBI Fingerprints Waiver
You will need to submit fingerprint results. The parish covers the fee for this requirement. Pre-registration is required before getting fingerprinted.
- Step 2 below asks for a code. Please email Jo Scheller at email@example.com to obtain the correct code—we will need to know whether you are a parish volunteer, school volunteer, parish employee or school employee.
- Go to https://uenroll.identogo.com/ On the next page select “Schedule or Manage Appointment”
- You will be asked if you have been given an authorization code for payment (this is different from the code in step 1)--select “NO”
- You will be asked to select a form of ID – the name on your ID must match EXACTLY what you enter on this form. You must have this ID with you in order to check in or you will not be fingerprinted.
- Once you are finished with the steps, you will be directed to select a location (you must select a location – you will then be given the option to select appointment time & date OR to select “walk-in”)
- The final page should have the message “You have successfully pre-enrolled.” Please print for your records using the print icon in the upper right corner of this page.
- You will need a credit card or money order for payment at the location site (no cash). Once completed, please submit your payment receipt and a copy of your fingerprint report results to the parish. Please email, mail or bring a copy to the office, ATTN: Jo Scheller.
#5 - COMPLETE THE “MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING" (Online Class)
This recently became mandatory for all school volunteers (including cafeteria helpers, classroom visitors and field trip chaperones) as well as anyone else working or volunteering directly with children. NOT ALL MINISTRIES REQUIRE THIS TRAINING. Please contact Jo Scheller if you are unsure if this requirement applies to you.
- Register online for this training class.
- This course is timed, and takes 3.5 hours to complete. You may save your work and return to it later.
- Bring a copy of your certificate of completion, ATTN: Jo Scheller, for your file.
- Other versions of this course obtained for work (ex: ACT 126 for teachers) may count towards this requirement IF they are a 3 credit course (no 2 credit courses are accepted) and not older than 2014 (due to recent law changes).
Please complete the above clearances and submit copies to Jo Scheller, Safe Environment Coordinator.
When you have completed the above requirements you will receive an email stating that you are eligible to volunteer. For the safety of our children, adults will not be allowed to participate in any school activity or function until all clearances are completed.
If you have any questions, please contact Jo Scheller, Safe Environment Coordinator, at 724-625-1665, ext. 2104 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are so grateful to the many adults who complete clearances each year, thank you!
*Note: only the Child Abuse and the Fingerprinting clearances expire and need to be renewed every 5 years. All others are a one-time requirement.