Jr. SKY Middle School Youth Group
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young,but be an example for believers in your speech, your conduct,your love, faith, and purity."
1 Timothy 4:12
Welcome 5th- 8th Graders and Friends!
You are invited to join in our youth ministry activities through Jr. SKY. “SKY" stands for Saint Kilian Youth—all 5th-8th graders and friends, whether you go to our parish, another parish, or no church at all are wanted and welcomed!
*Please Note: There is also a SKY group for High Schoolers at Saint Kilian Parish. Our Grades 5 - 8 ministry is “Jr. SKY.”
We Work, We Play, We Eat, We Pray, We Serve Others!
Come play! Come work! Come serve! We do a mix of social (community building) and service activities (love of others). Jr. SKY meets twice a month, from September through June on Saturday evenings from 6:30pm - 8:45pm in the Saint Kilian Parish cafeteria after the 5:30pm Mass.
Come hungry! We begin each evening with a simple meal before moving into our planned activities. All of our events are centered on respect for others, love of God and learning what He has in mind for US! Please see the weekly parish bulletin for exact meeting and event dates - friends are always welcome!
Families are strongly encouraged to attend the 5:30 Mass together before bringing youth to Jr. SKY. Our events usually end in the chapel, where we worship God together and read the Gospel for the coming weekend’s Mass.
We Need Caring Adults!
Adult and/or High Schoolers are crucial to this ministry. The youth need to see a variety of adults and a variety of people of faith. If you are interested in working with these amazing, energetic, and faith-filled youth as part of our CORE team, please contact Jo Scheller. Help needed includes set up/clean up, food preparation, welcoming youth, small group discussion, activity leadership and just being present as a role model! The MOST important way adults will help is by being present as a loving influence who listens and relates to the lives.
Planned Meetings and Events
Find us on Instagram at "jr.sky_skp"!
Find us on Facebook at "Jr. SKY Saint Kilian Youth"!
Quick List of Service and Event Related Items We Will Be Collecting This Year
Available on Clover Corner
Throughout the year, we will be collecting to donations to help with Jr. SKY activities, events and service projects. We hope you will be on the lookout for the following items throughout the year and invite you to drop off your donations at the Saturday evening Jr. SKY meeting or to the parish office.
Service requires sacrifice!
We encourage our youth to earn the donations themselves (either being paid for with their money or by doing equivalent work for the items if at all possible).
- New or gently used shoes for Africa - September
- Fleece for no-sew blankets for the homeless and for our parish seniors in nursing homes- October
- Individual packs of toiletries for the homeless: toothbrushes, toothpaste, bar soap, wash cloths and deodorant (men and women) - October/November
- New or used winter coats and items (gloves/hats/boots/socks) - October/November
- Halloween candy (is sold to a local dentist by weight, money is donated to charity) - November
- Left-over glow sticks and glow items for use at our “Light in the Darkness” games - November
- Household miscellaneous items: used or unwanted household items in good condition to use as prizes for our youth group bring-a-buddy bingo - November
- Food donations for our Thanksgiving and Christmas boxes for parish families in need (click here for details) - November
- Christmas hats, jingle necklaces or antler headbands for the Parish St. Nicholas Pancake Breakfast workers - December
- Gently used stuffed animals for donation to police,fire fighters, seniors, etc. - March
- Small sized plastic eggs and egg cartons for the Saint Kilian Egg Hunt - March
- Individual packs of toiletries for the homeless: toothbrushes, toothpaste, bar soap, wash cloths and deodorant (men and women) - May
- Miscellaneous balls and outdoor games for youth group and for our summer session - Ongoing